In 1821, the “Fife Agricultural Society” was formed in Cupar. The main objective of the Society was the general encouragement of agriculture and, in particular, the breeding of horses, cattle and sheep. An annual show was held where premiums were awarded to the best animals. Even 200 years ago, when the phrase “best practice” had probably never been used, a benefit of the Society was agreed to be the sharing of knowledge and information between the different districts of the county. In 1834, “The Fifeshire Agricultural Association” was formed for the protection and encouragement of agriculture. Whilst still holding general meetings in Cupar, this body also had district committees throughout the county. The East of Fife Agricultural Society, which formed pre-1840, met annually at Colinsburgh where they held an exhibition of agricultural stock, grains & seeds.
“The Fife Agricultural Association”of today is an amalgamation of these organisations and is a limited company and registered Charity, run mainly by volunteers coming from throughout Fife. Presidents currently serve a 2 year term, being awarded the President’s Medal on their appointment – the first recorded President was John Ballingall of Dunbog, in 1890.
The President for 2019/2020 is Andrew Stevenson, Bonerbo, Anstruther (07801 429982)
There are currently 9 Directors and 22 General Committee Members.